Homestyle Sausage Stuffing
Serves: makes 8 servings
Can use it to stuff a turkey or bake it in a casserole dish.
• 12 ounce Fox Bros. Bulk Pork Sausage
• ¾ cup diced yellow onion
• ½ cup diced celery
• coarse salt and fresh black pepper
• 1 (14 ounce) package Brownberry herb seasoned stuffing
• 2 (14 ounce) cans of low-sodium chicken broth
• 3 tablespoons melted butter, plus more for greasing pan and dotting the top
1. Set a large skillet over medium heat and brown the sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks into small crumbles. Once it's cooked remove to a large mixing bowl. If there's a lot of grease drain some of it off leaving about a tablespoon in the pan.
2. Add the onion and celery, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, stirring often. Add it to the bowl with the sausage. Add the stuffing to the bowl and mix it with the sausage, onion and celery.
3. Pour the cans of chicken broth over it and mix well. Drizzle the butter over it and mix well. Cover the bowl with plastic and let sit 5 - 10 minutes. You can stuff your turkey with it at this point or bake as directed in the next steps.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and grease an 8 x 8 casserole or baking pan with deep sides.
5. Taste the stuffing and season with salt and pepper if needed. Stir well again and then spoon into the pan. Cut a tablespoon of butter into small pieces and dot the top with it.
6. Cover with Aluminum Foil, and Bake 25 minutes.